I will admit I didn’t really plan to participate in KCW this summer. I have a bunch of other projects going on, some I am super behind on and the boy has been lukewarm on hand-mades. Then I saw Miss Mucho’s post and I wanted to play along. She always convinces me to do things thinking mine will turn out as great as hers. That never happens.
For this project I used a light chambray for the main fabric and touches of some Star Wars quilting cotton I picked up at Beverly’s awhile ago. The pattern is Bobby’s Bathers – a boys swim trucks pattern – in Sewing For Boys. I have made so many things from that book, it nearly justifies all the sewing books I have bought and never made a thing.
The biggest issue I have seen so far is the fabric wrinkles very easily. I ironed last night to take photos in the morning. Just sitting on the dresser overnight put in that crease under Darth Vader’s pocket.
Did you see the pockets? The are fussy cuts of Darth Vader and a Storm Trooper. Each has a velcro closure sewn in to keep important valuables (read: lego Star Wars mini-figs) inside.
Since theses were originally a swimsuit pattern, the waist has a tabbed tie closure. I liked the pop of color. I had a difficult time figuring out where the tabs were supposed to go and ended up ripping them out and adding them back on after the shorts were sewn together, just before making the elastic casing.
There isn’t a good picture in the book of what they are supposed to look like, so I just did what made sense to me. All the ripping and repositioning (and that my machine only wanted to make one button hole for whatever reason) resulted in a little funky sewing here but that is the joy of sewing for kids. They really don’t care.
Pros: Fast, cute, might actually be worn, Star Wars
Cons: Wrinkled fabric, funky tabs